October 18, 2019

Superstructs and Chaucer

Things have been pretty quiet lately, until today. As many people have noted, the mornings are getting colder and we still have much work to do. Beverly was wondering about how the homeless in her area were getting on, finding shelter and food. I think that a lot of us are wondering the same thing, wherever we are. It is bad enough just having a refugee problem but coupled with the threat of ReDS... It is too much to contemplate for the time being.

While I was wrestling with a particularly stubborn set of heating coils on a Composting Toilet, Suzy wandered by and asked how my “Internet thing” was progressing. For all her charms and myriad skills, if something has buttons on it, she avoids it like the plaque. I told her that considering the world crisis, there are just too many people trying to accomplish similar things. As of today, I have joined about three new groups; some have “applications”—those I have not heard back from. I think that eventually a lot of these “Superstructs” as they are being called may have to merge. Some of them are:
EDUCYCLE by Mudmama, Outpost of One by PonyXpress, Homestead-In-A-Box by Josh, and Self-sustainable Interconnected Communities by Jinxremoved. All of these sites are trying to reach similar goals. Probably if just for the sake of all the new members of Superstruct, they should all think about coming under one category. If anyone reading this blog post knows of other IC’s that are out there please contact me.

After completing the repairs to the CT, Kim came up and began one of the strangest conversations that I have had of late. There are at least 3 women that I know who, when so motivated, can be masterfully cryptic. They can continue a conversation for minutes at a time and while appearing to be logical and well organized, not give one solid piece of information away. Three such masters that come to mind are Ren, Caroline, and Kim.

From what I could understand Kim was telling me that she had found an orphan, and that it might be, well, beneficial if we were to take said orphan in.

To further clarify the conversation, I offer the analogy of a child finding a little stray kitten or puppy. Partial sentences like "Can I keep him/her?"-- "I'll take good care..." are salted liberally throughout the "conversation". In retrospect, I now see that my agreeing to this adoption was one of the finest examples of brain deadness that I have demonstrated in a long time. Anyway, I asked Kim where her new find was and if it had a name. Apparently, she took my question as a blessing to the adoption, which resulted in her whole facial expression changing from concern to that award winning smile she is so famous for. Well yes, she said, his name was Chaucer. She then asked me to follow her because she had him over in a stand of trees.

When we arrived Kim asked me what I thought. I wasn't sure how to respond. I couldn’t see anything. I looked at the ground, I looked into the trees, my gaze refocused on her hands; Quite honestly, I could see nothing. Well, that wasn’t exactly the case. I was seeing it OK, it was my mind that was stubbornly refusing to let me realize the sight before me. Think of this as a scene in a cheesy monster movie. The actor runs out of a building and even though the gigantic creature stands before him/her, nothing is noticed until the creature makes an obvious move. In my case, it was a snort… Kind reader, all I can say is that in my worst, most distorted nightmare I have never seen anything like this. It is HUGE! When I recover a bit, I shall have more comment on our newest addition to Enclave, Chaucer.

Regards,

Megiddo

No comments: